Job Opening: Development Assistant
Posted: January 12, 2015
Location: Santa Cruz, Calif.
MAPS is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, experienced fundraiser to join our development team. The perfect candidate has a balanced interest in getting the details correct, taking initiative to operationalize new fundraising functions, and supporting the Development Director. We are looking for a self-directed person who enjoys a collaborative, flexible environment with high standards for work performed.
The position is 40 hours per week. Hours worked are flexible, with the expectation that work will be completed well and on time. This position has opportunity for growth.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Be responsive, timely, and helpful in the following tasks:
- Respond to donor and customer phone, mail, and email inquiries
- Send thank you letters and donor premiums
- Manage renewal process for smaller and mid-size gifts
- Maintain a highly accurate database to maximize donor relations
- Learn database and keep systems current to support fundraising
- Working closely with the Development Director, coordinate direct mail campaigns, and research, prepare, and send foundation proposals and reports.
- Troubleshoot discrepancies between donor database and accounting program with accounting office.
- Assist with the development and expansion of new fundraising campaigns and special projects (peer-to-peer, monthly giving, donor surveys)
- Maintain corporate accounts for employee gifts, matching gifts, United Way, and online revenue (Network for Good, Causes, Dwolla, etc.)
- Update Development Manual as needed
- Provide general administrative office support when needed
Box Office and Events
- Manage ticketing system and provide customer service for events
- Provide additional support with special event production, including shipping, scheduling and events volunteer management
- 1-2 years fundraising experience
- Fluent with office and communications technology including Microsoft Office and fundraising, sales, or events databases
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Resourceful, with the ability to work proactively
- Graphic design experience a plus
- Retirement plan
- Education reimbursement plan
- Holiday and paid time off
- Excellent heath benefits
Salary is based on averages for the position, our geographic region, and the candidate's experience. Health, retirement, and education benefits are generous. The position reports to the Development Director.
Founded in 1986, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. MAPS furthers its mission by:
- Developing psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medicines
- Training therapists and working to establish a network of treatment centers
- Supporting scientific research into spirituality, creativity, and neuroscience
- Educating the public honestly about the risks and benefits of psychedelics and marijuana.
For more information, visit maps.org.