- What personally identifiable information of yours is collected through the Site;
- Who collects such information;
- How such information is used;
- With whom your information may be shared;
- What choices you have regarding collection, use and distribution of your information;
- What kind of security procedures are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of information under our control;
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in your information.
What Information We Collect and How We Use That Information
Our online forms ask users to give us contact information that may include name, email address, format preference (HTML vs. text), address, interests, and similar information. We do not request or store sensitive information from our visitors, such as credit card or social security numbers. To protect your privacy, we will never send you mail with the word "psychedelic" or "psychedelics" on the outside of the envelope.
Internet Protocol (IP) Address
We collect an Internet Protocol (IP) address from all visitors to our Site. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. We use IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our Site, analyze trends, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use to help us to improve the site, and deliver customized, personalized content. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
As with almost all websites, temporary log files are kept which identify some information about our visitors, including the IP addresses of machines that access the site. Our Web logs are not available to the public. These logs allow Site administrators to see how many people visit the Site, how many pages have been accessed, which pages are accessed most frequently, and which links are leading people to the site.
Standard logs (including ours) also track which pages are visited by each IP address. This information is important for us to have because it allows us to catch "denial of service" attacks (for example, individual computers accessing hundreds of thousands of pages per day). We take great care to make sure this information cannot be used to compromise the privacy and security of our visitors.
Use of "Cookies"
Many people ask whether simply visiting our Site can be cause for concerns about privacy and security. MAPS is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. With more than 100,000 visitors a month to maps.org, there is safety in numbers. Our visitors span the spectrum from psychedelic and medical marijuana users to scientists, law enforcement, educators, researchers, doctors, therapists, patients, and students.
Information collected about contributors (such as name, email address, physical address, and credit card information) will never be shared with anyone. We do not share mailing lists with any other organizations. However, we do occasionally send out emails for other related organizations or may combine lists with another organization for a particular purpose. Additionally, there are a number of ways to make anonymous contributions, including bitcoins.
Removal of Identifying Information
If you have previously submitted information to our Site and would like to have your name or contact information removed from the submission, please let us know. Our public digital archives include several independent collections of information. Some of these archives may display names or contact information without the permission of the author. We are happy to anonymize submissions, though we will need to verify that you are the original submitter.
All information provided to the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect account information by placing it on a secure portion of our Site that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
Other Web Sites
Our Site contains links to other Web sites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another Web site for which the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) has no responsibility. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such sites as their policies may be different than ours.
MAPS respects the privacy of all its donors. We believe in safeguarding personal information and ensuring that donor privacy is protected. Your name, address, and any other personal data you provide will be used only by MAPS to keep you informed of our activities including our programs, special events, and funding needs.
Here are the types of donor information that we collect and maintain:
- Contact information: name, organization/company (if applicable), complete address, phone number, and email address.
- Payment information: credit card number and expiration date, and billing information needed to complete transactions (no credit card numbers are retained by MAPS).
- Gift designation information by program, fund, or event, as provided by donor at time of gift.
- Information you have shared, such as general feedback, comments, or questions.
- Requests to receive periodic updates via our online e-newsletters or through printed MAPS publications.
Our website contains links to third-party websites. If you use these links, you will leave our sites. MAPS is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Our Commitment to Donor Privacy
- MAPS will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to other organizations.
- Donor information is maintained in a secured database, and only authorized personnel have access to this information and only for appropriate business purposes.
- Credit card numbers submitted to process gifts or transactions are not retained by MAPS. Credit card numbers are retained by our payment processor, BluePay, to process recurring credit card donations (e.g. monthly, quarterly, or yearly donations). However, stored credit card numbers are not readily accessible to MAPS and totally inaccessible to any third parties.
Authorized Release of Information
MAPS may be legally required to disclose information to the IRS in the case of an audit. MAPS complies with all applicable legal requirements and standards.
Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
P.O. Box 8423
Santa Cruz, CA 95061